Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Canning and Coupons

There are 2 things I like to do with my time. Well, other than taking care of my family that is. I love to can and to coupon collect.

The canning is out of necessity and the fact that we have grapes, apples that come in every year and cherries and apricots that come when they feel like it. The apricots when the wind is right and it can cross pollinate with the other trees in the neighborhood and the cherry trees were topped off when the city needed to make room for wires. I don't think it did them much good to be topped off. I am hoping for more next year.

Anyhow, back to the subject. I can the apples for pie, juice and applesauce. The cherries for pie, and the apricots I made into jam. I am finally done.





I love to go into the basement and see all the pretty jars lined up on the shelf.








The other thing I love to do is couponing. It saves us tons of money and being the organizational Martha Stewart freak that I am I love the looking up, making of the list, finding the right coupon packet and the cutting. Granted going to the store with 2 crazy boys is not my favorite thing to do but getting my food storage up and seeing the savings on my receipt is well worth it. I have to say my favorite is when Smith's paid me 75 cents to take 6 boxes of cereal bars. The free cereal was good too. It is very satisfying to be able to save our family money by clipping coupons.

I am glad canning season is done for a while. My kitchen was sick of being sticky all the time. The end result is wonderful and I am happy to be able to stock up.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Vicky! I just feel so happy for you. Isn't it such a satisfying feeling to be preserving and building up a food storage?

I don't own any canning equipment and don't have any good resources for fresh produce here which really makes me wish I could be back in Utah, closer to home and family and fruit orchards in back yards. Woah, long sentance.

Anyway, I love that you are saving your family so much money by coupon-ing. Do you do the grocery game? Remember Sharon Bleyl in Phoenix? She was a big time coupon queen. Her house was literally lined with boxes and boxes of food. Kind of like an extra layer or two of insulation.

SallyB said...

Wow, that's a lot of jars! A friend lent me her steam canner and gave me 14 quart jars, so I did apple pie filling, pears, red salsa and green salsa, all from our yard. I'm glad it's over, too. ;)

Sally