Monday, February 16, 2009

Grind your bones to make my bread.

Yesterday in church a member of our bishopric gave a talk about self-reliance. The whole time he was talking I was thinking about how I have 2 buckets of wheat in my basement, a wheat grinder and the ability to make bread. Why am I paying $1.00 to $1.50 for a loaf of bread? I could make my own and freeze it

Today the kids didn't have school so we decided to make some bread. We started from scratch. Even the flour!
We started out with this:
After lots of hand grinding, mostly on Patrick's part,

we got this:

wheat flour!!

It was killing the kids to have to wait for it to rise.


But it was well worth it when you end up with:

I haven't perfect even loaves yet but I am working on it. Besides if you get a dud you get to eat it right away to hide the evidence. Right?
When you get a good loaf you get to make something like:

A ham and cheese sandwich with pickles and lettuce on wheat. MMMMM!

4 comments:

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

I pay $2.50 a loaf! I have a hard time with whole wheat, but I know I should be eating it. I've been playing with spelt and kamut, which are types of wheat. Your bread is beautiful, by the way. Who wants it "perfect" like a factory made it. It should look like hands made it!

AHebdon said...

You've convinced to go get a wheat grinder. I have tons of wheat and no grinder. I love to make homemade bread. okay maybe not love to make it but I love to eat it, but have heard that it looks and tastes alto better with fresh ground wheat. Yours looks yummy!!

Heidi said...

Wow! I'm impressed!

Nat said...

What a good mommy you are! It looks delicious. I want to try wheat bread now. :)